Monday, March 8, 2010

New Computer

It's a bit embarrassing, but I have to admit that I have put off upgrading our home computer for far, far too long. It's a Dell P4, 1.8 GHz, 512 MB of RAM dinosaur! Can anyone guess how old something like that would be? If you guessed 8.5 years, you would be right on the money. (Yep, it even has a 19" CRT!!) Back in the day, this was a screaming machine, but over the years it has slowed to a crawl for even the most basic challenges. The final straw came when it was time to install Smart Music for the kids to practice their instruments with and it completely froze up before the install had barely gotten underway! Anyway, it was at that point that I started thinking it might actually be time to say goodbye to the old Dell and get something more current. I thought it would be fun for Matthew and I to buy all of the computer components and build it together. Hopefully, it will also be educational for Matthew and maybe even a little bit fun. It looks like everything should arrive on Thursday. Stay tuned for updates and pictures of the build! For those of you wanting all the details on the hardware, I will include that as well.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I've built all of my own computers Ty...it's WAY more fun and exiting than paying someone else to put subpar compenents into a box for you!

Ty said...

Dan--I agree 100% I think it was also quite a bit more cost-effective to build it myself. When I bought the Dell, I wasn't in a place to build one, but before that I had always built all of my own computers. Even back in the windows 3.1 days! My first system had 4MB of RAM and a 110MB hard drive.